French Fries Recipe
What are french friesFrench fries, or simply fries are simply sliced cut deep-fried potatoes. French fries are served hot, either soft or crispy, and are generally eaten as part of lunch or dinner or by themselves as a snack, and they commonly appear on the menus of diners, fast food restaurants, pubs, and bars.
How french fries prepared or made in a restaurant or by ChefsFrench fries are prepared by first cutting the potato (peeled or unpeeled) into even strips, which are then wiped off or soaked in cold water to remove the surface starch, and thoroughly pat and dry with kitchen towels or with tissue paper as no moisture is left in potato otherwise they become soggy. Then they fried in two stages. Chefs generally agree that the two-stage fried of french fries technique gives the better result as comparing one stage fry.
Different techniques for frying french friesOne can cook french fries using several techniques. Deep frying submerges food in hot fat, most commonly oil. Vacuum fryers are suitable to process low-quality potatoes with higher sugar levels than normal, as they frequently have to be processed in spring and early summer before the potatoes from the new harvest become available. In the UK, a Chip pan is a deep-sided cooking pan used for deep-frying. Chip pans are named for their traditional use in frying chips. Most french fries are produced from frozen potatoes which have been blanched or at least air-dried industrially. Most chains that sell fresh cut fries use the Russet Burbank variety of potatoes. It has been the standard for french fries in the United States.
Interesting and Fun Facts about French Fries
- The origin of French fries in Belgium. According to some historians, potatoes were being fried by 1680 in the Meuse Valley of Belgium.
- According to reports, Americans eat more than 16 pounds of French Fries every year.
- French Fries are not called that in France. They are known as frites, patates frites, or Pommes frites in French.
- Potatoes are a great source of fibre and French fries are made from potatoes.
- There is a French fry museum called Frietmuseum in Belgium.
- National French Fry Day is celebrated on July 13.
How to serveFries tend to be served with a variety of accompaniments, such as salt and vinegar (malt, balsamic or white), pepper, Cajun seasoning, grated cheese, melted cheese, mushy peas, heated curry sauce, curry ketchup (mildly spiced mix of the former), hot sauce, relish, mustard, mayonnaise, bearnaise sauce,
tartar sauce, chilli, tzatziki, feta cheese, garlic sauce, fry sauce, butter, sour cream, ranch dressing, barbecue sauce, gravy, honey, aioli, brown sauce, ketchup, lemon juice, piccalilli, pickled cucumber, pickled gherkins, pickled onions or pickled eggs.
Ingredients for french fries
Potato - 3 (big size)
Salt - According to your taste
Oil - for frying
How to make french fries:
- Firstly, peel potatoes and wash at least for 2-3 times under running water.
- Now slice the potatoes in slices having 1 cm. thickness.
- Before slicing, you can remove the top and bottom part of the potato to get a square or rectangle-shaped potato.
- Then begin to cut them in sticks having 1cm width.
- In a bowl take 3.5 cups cold water and dunk the potatoes in it. Keep this bowl outside or in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes but in a hot and humid climate keep the bowl in the fridge.
- After 30 minutes, drain the potatoes in a colander.
- Then place them on a clean cotton napkin or you can also pat and dry with tissue paper. The potatoes have to be completely dried before you begin to fry them
- After coating well with cornflour, put kadhai on gas and pour oil for frying.
- When the oil is heat, keep gas on low medium heat then fry french fries in small batches for 2 - 3 minutes not more than.
- Fry all the french fries like this and again keep in the fridge for at least 10 minutes or till they are cool.
- After 10 minutes take out from the fridge for the second fry.if you want fries more crispies then you have to fry them two times otherwise they become soggy after a few minutes.
- For the second fry, keep flame medium to high and it takes around 5-7 minutes.
- One important thing you have to keep in your mind while you frying that always fry in small batches not fry too much in one batch otherwise fries will become soggy and also not cook evenly from all sides.
- Now your restaurant style french fries are ready. Enjoy with your favourite sauce and herbs like oregano or with peri-peri masala.
Here is the video link to see this process step-by-step.